We have access to unlimited amounts of data at our fingertips but the digital world should be navigated with caution. Be vigilant about the type of information you share online because you never know who is looking at it.
Using social networks
Never post personal information such as your home address, phone number or account details
Don’t use the same passwords for social media accounts as you do for your online banking
Change your privacy settings to control who sees your posts – and who can tag you
Sign out of your social media accounts when using a public computer
Avoid putting your location in posts – as it may put your physical safety at risk
Go with your gut
Be careful with any unusual posts or messages, especially those with links in them
Mobile security checklist
- Set your mobile phone to lock after a period of non-use.
- Use a strong PIN, passcode, fingerprint detection or facial recognition.
- Use a device manager to help you find your phone and wipe data.
- Only install apps from reputable publishers and official stores – and read the reviews first.
- Manage permissions for each app to control what data they collect, store and share.
- Don’t remove hardware restrictions on your mobile phone to allow installation of unapproved apps.
For more information on Cyber Security, talk to your Adviser.
This information has been prepared by Colonial First State Investments Limited ABN 98 002 348 352, AFS Licence 232468 (Colonial First State), and is the issuer of super, pension and investment products. This information is based on Colonial First State’s understanding of current regulatory requirements and laws as at January 2018. This document is not advice and provides information only. It does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. You should read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) carefully and assess whether the information is appropriate for you and consider talking to a financial adviser before making an investment decision. A PDS for Colonial First State’s products are available at colonialfirststate.com.au or by calling us on 13 13 36.